The Syrian people’s past and our globally shared endangered heritage in this cradle of civilization may hang in the balance.
With respect to the Great Synagogue of Aleppo, although situated in the district of the current front-line separating rebel from government forces, it has not been destroyed and as of 12/16/2014 shows no signs of damage.
The Islamic State group launched an attack Saturday on the Syrian border town of Kobani from Turkey, a Kurdish official and activists said, although Turkey denied that the fighters had used its territory for the raid.
Franklin Lamb writes on the looting and destruction of Syria’s archeological heritage and its impact on world heritage.
– Jim W. Dean…”We had been predicting some sort of terrorist attack by one of the groups trying to derail the Iran nuclear talks.”
– Jim W. Dean…”We are seeing Western democracies collapsing in terms of special interests being able to take countries into destructive wars like Warlords.”
– A second interview by this observer with Seif al Islam Gadhafi, formerly the heir apparent to his father Moammar, was sought and finally arranged as a follow up to an earlier one focusing of my interest in the Imam Musa Sadr case.
– Chest high metal crowd control barriers manned by armed guards—since late September they have stood outside the Arrivals Hall on the Lebanon side…
– Jim W. Dean…”Franklin Lamb takes us to the front lines in Syria, where America’s terror brigades continue to inflict ISIL horrors on the Syrian people.”
– Jim W. Dean…”This is the 2nd great piece we have gotten from Franklin on his journeys into the field to talk to the local people living through the Syrian conflagration.”
Changes are underway in Damascus’s suburban neighborhoods. In some of these neighborhoods there are few families’ left—only fighters. But in others, residents are trickling back in (or in some cases never even left) despite the danger.
– Jim W. Dean…”Why would ISIS kill a Mossad agent, hardly under cover, and then have a $10 million ransom story appear so soon after?”
– Jim W. Dean…”I have a good feeling that when the Israelis stop shooting that will we not this time. So let’s take the fight to them, bombarding them with boycott rockets.”
– “The United States Senate reaffirms American support for Israel’s right to defend its citizens and ensure the survival of the State of Israel.”
– “A gauntlet stands before this Lebanon, one that it must negotiate successfully if it is to avoid an all-out war, dismemberment.”
– UNESCO’s World Heritage sites include the Ancient Cities of Aleppo , Bosra, and Damascus, theCrac des Chevaliers and Qal’at Salah El-Din and Palmyra
– On 6/26/14, Israel offered to help “moderate” Arab nations who may feel threatened by the lightning land-grabbing offensive by Islamic militants in Iraq.
– Jim W. Dean…”Franklin is definitely the man on the scene from Beirut to Damascus, due to his long history of serving the community there.”
– A broad-based, internationally supported, peaceful civil rights campaign is much needed in Lebanon and long overdue.
– In Syria today there is much evidence to refute the claims that Jewish cultural heritage sites are being singled out for destruction by rabid anti-Semites.
– Jim W. Dean…”The Obama administration is going to be tarred and feathered historically as the terrorism presidency for the Syrian debacle.
– Jim W. Dean…”I see an analogy with the old Roman emperors wanting to put on the bloody Coliseum spectacles to distract the hopeless masses.”
– The international community is obligated to act without further delay on its moral and legal responsibility to preserve and protect World Heritage sites.
– Almost half of Syria’s chemical weapons have already left the country and 100% of the Syria’s stockpiles are believed to have been neutralized.
Every school kid here in Syria learns at an early age about the various colonial land grabs that have lopped off key parts of their ancient country, and they receive instruction about their national duty to recover this sacred territory.
Post Round Two of Geneva II, the White House and the usual group of war mongers in Congress and among the US Zionist lobby, are said to be re-thinking the idea of a No Fly Zone (NFZ) for Syria. It would be planned and executed with US and a yet to be specified, “Coalition of the willing” using aircraft positioned at bases in Jordan and Turkey to begin with.
As a new workweek begins here in Damascus, many citizens across a fairly broad spectrum appear to be backing and even exhibiting a kind of pride for their diplomatic team at the Geneva II conference.
– Crimes against Humanity Warranting Prosecution of the Guilty, Not Blame for the Victims
It’s not just the leadership of the Zionist regime still occupying Palestine, six decades after the 1948 Nakba, that appears to be salivating at the current stoking of current tensions between the Palestinian Resistance and in some respects, its historic off-spring Hezbollah.
Beirut – Another week, another terrorist bombing. It’s beginning to look a lot like that here in Lebanon these days.