Below are foreign policy highlights and lowlights from the first month of Donald Trump’s presidency.
- Trump said: “Russia … this is fake news put out by the media … I’m here today to tell you the whole Russian thing, that’s a ruse.”
- “It’s going to be impossible for [me] to ever get along with Russia because of all the pressure [I’ve] got with this fake story”
- “If we could get along with Russia … China and Japan and everyone … it would be a positive thing, not a negative thing”.
- “I say it’s better to get along with Russia than not.”
- When asked about Russian President Vladimir Putin, who was called a “killer” by the interviewer, Trump responded, “We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country is so innocent?… take a look at what we’ve done too.”
- “We made a lot of mistakes. I’ve been against the war in Iraq from the beginning … A lot of mistakes, but a lot of people were killed. A lot of killers around, believe me.”
- Russian lawmakers & economists optimistic after Putin-Trump call.
- Trump: “They have sanctions on Russia — let’s see if we can make some good deals with Russia … For one thing, I think nuclear weapons should be way down and reduced very substantially.”
- NY Times Op-Ed: “Why Trump Is Right on Russia“.
- Secretary Tillerson fires much of the seventh-floor staff at the State Department. The seventh-floor was referred to as “the shadow government” in an FBI release.
- Trump Nixes Elliott Abrams for State Dept. Job.
- Trump: “The Israelis are going to have to show some flexibility [on Palestine], which is … hard to do”.
- Regarding a one-state or two-state solution, Trump said, “I want the one that both parties [Israel and Palestine] want.”
- White House: New or expanded Israeli settlements “may not be helpful” in achieving peace.
- Belgrade Breathes Easier as Trump’s Win Marks End to Clinton-Era Interventionism.
- US troops deploy to Bulgaria as part of NATO operation.
- Hundreds of US Troops, Tanks Arrive in Romania.
- Trump: “Crimea was TAKEN by Russia during the Obama Administration. Was Obama too soft on Russia?”
- Saudi crown prince receives CIA honor for anti-terror efforts.
- US-led coalition air strikes killed 18 Afghan civilians, U.N. says.
- US tanks, infantry fighting vehicles arrive in Estonia amid NATO buildup on Russian borders.
- US to Deploy Navy Destroyer Off Yemen Coast.
- Trump: ‘Nothing Off the Table’ On Iran.
- US sanctions Iran after missile test.
- Nikki Haley just delivered the Trump administration’s most hawkish words yet toward Russia.
- Many Civilians Among the Dead After US Raid in Yemen.
- President Trump said he believes that “torture works.”
- The first arms sales of the Trump administration: $1.85 billion to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Britain and Kenya (pending congressional approval).
- U.S., Coalition Continue Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq.
- NATO has our ‘unshakable commitment’, Pentagon chief vows.
- US declines to send formal delegation to Syria peace talks, citing timing issues; will instead send an ambassador.
- Yemen Reports First US Drone Strikes Under Trump – 10 Killed in Two Strikes.
- Donald Trump’s top team don’t all agree with him on Russia.
- Tillerson Wants to Provide Saudi Arabia With More Help to Bomb Yemen.
- Mattis: US Needs to Be Ready to ‘Confront’ Russia.
NOTE: The information above is excerpted from the St. Pete for Peace fact sheet on the Trump administration’s foreign policy. The fact sheet will be updated throughout the Trump presidency.
Chris Ernesto is cofounder of St. Pete for Peace, an antiwar organization in St. Petersburg, FL that has been active since 2003. Mr. Ernesto also created and managesOccupyArrests.com and U
Gene Huber: The man Trump invited on stage
Posted by VNN on February 19, 2017, With 0 Reads, Filed under Foreign Lobbies, Foreign Policy, Government, Legislation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.