No one should be able to commit crimes against humanity without believing that they could be judged for them, he argued. “Thats why I find myself invoking the principle of universal jurisdiction in regard with these crimes” — Chilean congressman Hugo Gutierrez
On the 22nd August 2014, Chilean congressman Hugo Gutierrez filed a lawsuit against Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, for “crimes against humanity”. He was accompanied by the Palestinian Federation of Chile.
The congressman noted that various international organizations, such as the United Nations, have already described the Israeli attacks as “crimes against humanity”.
No one should be able to commit crimes against humanity without believing that they could be judged for them, he argued. “Thats why I find myself invoking the principle of universal jurisdiction in regard with these crimes,” he explained.
The principle of universal jurisdiction was used by Spain in the case of Augusto Pinochet, while the dictator was in London, and according to Gutierrez, by Israel for detaining and judging the Nazi Adolf Einschmann.
According to international humanitarian law, a military strike is illegal if it kills civilians, except if the death toll is judged proportionate to the concrete and direct military advantage the strike provided.
Yesterday, Venezuela’s president Nicolas Maduro also criticised Israel, calling the PM, Benjamin Netanyahu, a “Herod of today”, citing the number of children in Palestine who have been killed.
- Israel Charged with War Crimes and Genocide
- Boycott Israel: Now More Than Ever
- Tens of thousands march on the White House for Palestine
- Hey Israel STOP the Genocide in Gaza — Worldwide protests
- In historic decision, South Africa’s ANC makes support for Israel boycott its official policy
- “I congratulated Maduro for his extraordinary solidarity with the heroic people of the Gaza Strip,” said the 88-year-old leader Fidel Castro
Israeli strike kills children on Gaza beach
Latest posts by VNN (see all)
- Lebensraum in Palestine - January 20, 2015
- Life Science Company Hiring Today! - January 19, 2015
- Multinational Consulting Firm Hiring U.S. Veterans! - January 19, 2015
Posted by VNN on 4:14 am, With 0 Reads, Filed under Africa, Americas, Asia, Bahrain, China, Egypt, Europe, Iran, Israel, Libya, Middle East, Oceana, Oman, Palestine, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Kingdom, World News, Yemen. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.